Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Post-Mortem - The Murf


Hey! It's a music video! And a fairytale version of our history as a species! And a look at time, life, survival and technology! ALL IN ONE!  And now I'm going to give you a somewhat truncated look at it, though I will be linking to a more in-depth going over of it.

First off, the single for this track is available for preorder here. If you're interested in a version that includes the video, click here. Support these dudes.

The awesome guys from Rendezvous contacted me two days before Christmas last year about doing a video for one of the tracks on their upcoming album. They gave me more or less carte blanche to do whatever I wanted with it. We settled on a concept in February and I got started. Five weeks later I was done. I was simultaneously also doing the first two episodes of Living In a River City, along with some other freelance work and putting together pitches (which I will post someday). By the time April rolled around, I was both exhausted and dying to get outside the apartment.

Initially, the video was going to be comparing and contrasting how quickly life moves in the universe - insects and small things living for days, people living for decades, and stars "living" for eons. I was reading a big book on evolution at the time, and wanted to do something involving the progression of life and how it marches on despite it's fragility. These concepts are in the final video, but it started taking on a life of its own.


I'm rather exhausted at the moment, so I will spare you a long, long, long writeup about everything rolling around in my head behind this video. My wife assures me that it's pretty easy to figure out what I was trying to do and say with it, and I'm trying to wean myself off of writing a short novel hammering home every point I'm trying to make in excruciating detail.  However, I did an interview yesterday with the nice kids at Motionographer where I talk about the video and the visual style in more detail. You can read it here. It's got lots of production stills and info. I will say that the sharp angles, the pixelly fires, square lens blurs and the mosaic overlays tie into the story and theme. It's not just a style (though it is stylish, if I do say so myself).



Anyway, other than a few texture overlays and some clouds I drew in Photoshop, the video is 100% After Effects. Never underestimate the solid layer. It will never fail you. As always, if you have any specific questions about how something was made, I'm all ears.

Here are a few reflections.


My wife came up with the whale-worshippers dance. I came up with the other one. COLLABORATION.

I felt bad killing the dinosaurs. Sorry guys.


Before doing this video I had never really done quadruped walk or run cycles. I might have in the distant past, but I certainly don't remember it. You learn something new everyday.

The humanoids in this are officially unisex.  If you'd like to pick specific ones that you think are guys or girls, be my guest.


I really liked the martian explorer. I want to do another short just about his awesome adventures. The guy is raising crops on MARS. Awesome.


You know who don't get enough credit? The people who jumped from cliffs in flying contraptions that completely and utterly failed. People laugh and call them idiots, but they were bravely trying to do the impossible. Eventually, some succeeded.

Welcome to my futurecity, where every elevated walk has a canal, and everyone had a weird hologram gadget. This shot was actually inspired by the neighborhood I was living in when I was making this, the south side of Pittsburgh. There are neighborhoods built on some very steep hills there and they have these endless walkway/stair combinations running all up and down them. They were built a century ago to aid the mass of workers walking to and from the steel mills that aren't there any more.


This was the first thing I did for the video, and it directly inspired the next short I'm doing.
This inspired this.

One of the things I do when I am very stressed and can't sleep is watch youtube videos of people playing NES games from my youth. I was very stressed at the time, and I think some of the first level of Battletoads crept into this circuit board design. Or maybe Marble Madness.


It must have been weird once fire became something people used often. Suddenly you notice that there's another camp on the hill next to you. And look at all of those people on the mountains. Not as alone as you thought you were.

 To wrap up:

This was an important project for me. Last year saw some big changes for me, which I have written about extensively elsewhere. Doing this story, in hindsight, was part of me realigning and rewriting how I view our past and our future. It was also the first time I did a short with no dialogue and no text. Trying to communicate emotions or humor or feeling that way was a wonderful exercise. It definitely makes me want to do more music videos, especially for instrumentals. Of course, because I made it, there are parts of it that I don't like as much. But overall I'm pretty proud of it. After 6 months of looking at it there just sitting on my hard drive, I'm interested in what you think. I hope you like it.

Lastly, go check out Rendezvous. The single for this song has several awesome remixes (one of which I am cutting a remix of this video to as we speak). Hagai and Itai are super-swell guys as well. Go check them out on youtube and grab the album they have coming out soon. I don't shill for people simply because I do work for them. They really are very cool, talented people who make good music. Go support them!

17 comments:

Beatriz Iglesias said...

Awesome...I've really enjoyed it!

Golven Willis said...

Truly inspiring

S said...

thank you ,
nice readings. impressive and inspiring.
wish you good luck for work on great mind blowing projects.
.

Itai Simon said...

Scott, you are a genius! you really are!

bombsfall said...

Thanks so much, everyone! I hope you keep reading, watching and enjoying!

James Potato said...

Keep being Awesome, Mr Benson

bombsfall said...

Will do.

jose421 said...

great style & story
=]

gracejones said...

woo, makes me wanna live in it. but probably only after the part where everyone dies from the winter cold in the ancient ages and before all the technology sets in

MAUMONT said...

I love your work dude!

Bravo!

Oly Mingo said...

You did this in 5 weeks!?! Absolutely amazing... well done sir.

AvesMaria said...

Really enjoyed this - the design, the constantly moving narrative, the references to progress and regression. All great. I stumbled on to your blog from Laughing Squid. I'm also an artist in Pittsburgh and am a happy occupant of one of those sloped and be-stepped neighborhoods.

Angela said...

I absolutely adore the pixel fires -- it was LIFE CHANGING. Your work is amazing!

Jane Maru said...

I've just re-visited your site.
I appreciate the work and insights.

Javo said...

I've just meet your work with this masterpiece and I'm so excited for everything: the story, the visual universe, the animation. Truely impressive and inspiring. And thanks for sharing all your comments. Its great. Cheers from Mexico.

Anonymous said...

Great website, looks very clean and organized. Keep up the good work! antibacterial Read a useful article about tramadol tramadol

Anonymous said...

I really liked your article. cardiovascular Read a useful article about tramadol tramadol